Saturday 5 January 2013

All books arrived!

All my books arrived before xmas thankfully, I received:

                                 The Housewife's Book from 1938
                                 Housewife's Handy Book from 1920's
                                 The Happy Housewife from 1976
                                 Helping at Home from 1961
                                 The Housewife's Yearbook from 1937
                                 The Housewife's Almanac from 1938
                                 Sentenced to Everyday Life - Feminism and the Housewife from 2004
                                 Retro Housewife - A Salute to the Suburban Superwoman from 2004

All of these publications really helped with putting my project together in terms of research, idea generation.

The main source of inspiration came from Appointment with Sigmund Freud by Sophie Calle.  This gave me the confidence to juxtapose my collections into someone else's.

My favourite book was the Housewife's Book and this became my vessel for which I placed my work. It was full of great images and the writing was so lovely to read.  When I wrote explanations or any parts of additional script I stuck to this style of writing.

I feel that Sophie Calle has such an interesting take on life and her work is full of mischief and tongue-in-cheek words along with good dosings of humour and I strove to bring a small element of humour to my work although I was very careful not to over-do it.

For instance when discussing the storage of a shoe collection I wrote

                                           'Tidy storage is essential to using the collection fully
                                           and knowing what you are short of in terms of
                                           colour and form'

I enjoyed finding the small ways to amuse my audience (hopefully) I guess its funny to play with irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment